Digital Marketing for Your Business
Mercatus believes in the power of your story and your business but you need to have a place to tell your story, a website that is working for you, and a way to communicate with your customers after they have left your store. The Mercatus Digital Marketing program will provide you the resources and tools to get started on a strong foundation.
- Up to 4 hours of one-on-one digital marketing consulting
- A personal digital marketing roadmap
- Free digital marketing workshops through out the year
- A one time stipend of $1000 to invest in your digital marketing efforts
- Attend Digital Marketing Orientation (announced once you are entered in the program)
- Provide City of Portland and Oregon Business License
- Complete three month and six month survey
Application and Eligibility
The Mercatus Digital Marketing Program accepts applications once a quarter. The first 25 applications that are eligible to participate in the program will be entered into a lottery for the program. We will open the lottery once a quarter and hope to be able to serve 50 business in 2019. To be eligible your business must be registered with the state and in compliance with the city of Portland and have a completed business listing on the Mercatus Directory. Not listed? You can get listed for free, learn more here. Notice will be sent through the Mercatus Newsletter when applications open.
How are participants selected?
- Applications are reviewed for completeness this includes
- Priority is given to businesses that have applied in previous rounds but were not able to participate
- Priority is given to businesses working with an organizations in the Inclusive Business Resource Network
- Applicants are then entered into a lottery
Applications open once a quarter. Make sure that you receive the Mercatus Member Newsletter. If you are a member you are automatically signed up but if you haven’t seen one yet maybe check your email junk folder. Once you are notified that applications are open complete for application.
Enrollment will close once we have received 25 applications. Eligible and complete applications will be entered into a lottery to participate in the program. If you are selected you are required to attend the digital marketing program orientation.
The Program Philosophy
The Mercatus Digital Marketing Program will help clear the noise and guide you to a digital marketing strategy that aligns with your business goals. The program is based on the Local Marketing Stack, developed by Tidings Co, which emphasizes the need for a strong digital marketing foundation and leverages free and low cost resources before progressing into more sophisticated and often costly digital marketing tools. While the Local Marketing Stack walks through six digital marketing zone this program focuses on getting businesses through zone three.
The program focuses on three areas:
- Operations and customer service: Do you have the systems and tools in place to deliver great customer service in a productive and consistent way? Can your customer find your business online? Does your business have a professional image? Do have a website that works for you?
- Presence: This includes branding, photos and videos, and offline collateral. How are you using your content to reach your goals? What kind of content should you invest in? Does your website communicate the message you think is does?
- Organic Marketing: Are you maximizing the power of referrals, word of mouth and reviews? Do you have an e-newsletter? What social media platforms are most beneficial to your business? Is your website optimized for local search?